Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Apple Pie

Made an apple pie this weekend. It was delicious, even if the apple texture was kind of weird. One taster asked, "What kind of apples did you use?" Well, I used the-only-kind-of-apples-they-had-at-the-deli apples. Not the apples from the first deli, though. The apples from the first deli were almost shriveled enough to make those old-people dolls they sell at living history museums. I used I used the-only-kind-of-apples-they-had-at-the-deli apples from the second deli. They were just labeled "apples," so that's really all I know about them. Oh, and they were red. They ended up having a weird texture. But the pie was delicious nonetheless. And on the second day, the texture seemed much better.

Here's a helpful hint I learned from my mom: Always use twice as much spices as they tell you to in the recipie books because the people who write the recipe books are scared of spices.

Here's the recipe for a perfect pie crust, also learned from my mom: Pilsbury makes a really good refrigerated pie crust. If you use it in a nice pie pan, and do a "rustic" job of cripming the edges, no one will know you didn't make it yourself. Hide the box at the bottom of your paper recycling. Makes 1 pie.

I forgot to mention that I topped the pie with clove & bourbon flavored whipped cream. Delicious! I whipped the cream all by myself, with a whisk. Kind of makes up for not making my own pie-crust, right?

No comments: